Welcome to Year One!
Apologies for the delay in this information, there were a few technical issues so thank you for your patience. Here is some brief information of how Year One is run:
- Encourage independence please! Book bags, getting dressed and even looking after their own belongings, the sooner our children get this the easier it will be for them (and us).
- Transition from Reception to Year One - our first half term will be in the style of Reception free flow activities, to gradually ease the children into Year One and get them ready for the different structure of learning that will come later on.
- Please leave reading books and diaries in book bags as reading days may differ or extra reading may take place.
- Maths Homework (orange books) will be sent fortnightly. Monday for the following Friday.
- Spellings Homework (yellow books) will be sent weekly. Monday for a spelling test on Friday. These will be the sounds focused on throughout the week in phonics so please encourage the children to talk to you about the sound of the day to reinforce the learning that is taking place in class.
- There is a National Phonics Screening Test in Year One for all children which we prepare for over the year. We will inform you and help with anything about this closer to the time, we aim to keep the level of pressure down for the children regarding this so there is no need to discuss this with your children yet, they don't need to know it is a test!
- Uniform - please ensure everything is named! We will try to look after all our uniform but knowing there's a name or initial on it definitely helps it find it's way back home to us.
- Earrings - as a whole new school policy earrings are only allowed to be worn in years five and six where the children can take them in and out themselves.
- Hair should be tied back if it is long enough, hair accessories should be school colours please.
- PE kit - please could children have a full PE kit through out the year as we have indoor and outdoor, whatever the weather.
- Our PE days are Monday with Sporting for Schools and Thursday fitness.
- Please bring separate kits for any after school activities, these will be kept safely in class.
- Crisps are allowed on a Friday during morning break time, otherwise fruit is always available.
- In our classrooms there are cups and water jugs available, although the children are welcome to bring in their own water bottles.
- Please update us of any medical issues or allergies when needed.
- For information on what we will be learning, a curriculum overview will be added soon to our website.
- Our Christmas play is scheduled for the 6th of December and a time is yet to be confirmed.
- We love hearing and sharing any achievements from outside of school, so should you children want to, during show and tell or assembly alternating Fridays these can be shared.
Hopefully this covers most things, but we are always available and please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions or queries.
Miss Wells and Mrs Federico